We are excited to offer free Music & Movement for Children (ages 2 to 10) every Monday night! See details in the flyer below. In order to qualify for this free group a child needs to have one or more difficult childhood experiences. Examples of difficulties are: abandonment, bullying, incarcerated parent, parent mental health issues, parents divorced/separated, traumatic grief, household income below 30 K, verbal abuse, witness to violence, physical abuse, parental substance abuse, or exposure to pornography. Read about the amazing benefits of Music & Movement listed below the class flyer.
- Early Literacy and Language Development: Active music-making and activities that emphasize steady beat, rhythm, and pitch increase phonological awareness due to similarities in brain functioning between music and language. Plus, stories, nursery rhymes, fingerplays, and songs increase vocabulary acquisition and support early language development.
- Social-Emotional Skills: Music classes for children cultivate sharing, turn-taking, active listening, cooperation, paying attention, and healthy social interaction with peers and adults. Music therapy supports the key abilities needed for children to grow into socially confident and capable people.
- Cognitive Skills: Musical learning provides gains in abstract reasoning, spatial and temporal reasoning, and self-control.
- Physical Skills: Playing developmentally appropriate instruments and moving around the room to music provides children opportunities to practice both fine- and gross-motor skills each week in class and at home with you.
- Music Skills: Music therapy prepares children for traditional music lessons, including piano, violin, and voice. In class, children may experience steady beat during lap bounces or clapping games, play instruments together to support early ensemble development, learn to tap basic rhythm patterns, sing age-appropriate songs to support vocal development, or even learn to read and write music.